Raw materials and their applications: Glass fiber is more resistant to temperature than non-combustible, non-combustible, anti-corrosive, heat-insulating, sound-insulating, high tensile strength and good electrical insulation. However, it is brittle and has poor abrasion resistance. It is used to make reinforced plastics (see color drawings) or reinforced rubber. As a reinforcing fiber, glass fiber has the following characteristics. These characteristics make the use of glass fiber far wider than other kinds of fibers, and the development speed is far ahead of its characteristics as listed below:
(1) High tensile strength and small elongation (3%).
(2) High modulus of elasticity and good rigidity.
(3) The amount of elongation in the elastic limit is large and the tensile strength is high, so the absorption impact energy is large.
(4) It is an inorganic fiber, which is incombustible and chemically resistant.
(5) The water absorption is small.
(6) Scale stability and heat resistance are good.
(7) It has good processability and can be used as a product of different forms such as strands, bundles, felts and woven fabrics.
(8) Transparent and transparent to light.
(9) The development of a surface treatment agent excellent in adhesion to a resin is completed.
(10) The price is cheap.
(11) It is not easy to burn, and it can be melted into glassy beads at high temperature.